Thursday, February 25, 2010

Divinity


Divinity. I remember seeing a recipe for this many years ago (I was probably 13 years old) in my mom's Better Homes Cookbook. I always wanted to try it, but was intimidated by it. Well, I was bored last night and started flipping through my cookbooks. Found the same divinity recipe that was in my mom's old cookbook..I know this because it's the same cookbook, just updated almost 20 years. Anyways, I had all the ingredients, so I went for it. I did not have a candy thermometer though, so I had to test the sugar with the water test. Pulled it off the stove at "hard ball" temp, and streamed it into the whipped egg whites. I'm pretty sure I got it right. I used mint extract instead of vanilla, making it taste like soft pillow mints. The texture I like, the mint...well, not so much. Mint is very strong, and I only used a quarter teaspoon. It was just to much for me personally. I think I would prefer an almond flavor, and will try that next time.

No comments: