Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rum Flavored Meringues

My goal this season is to try making cookies I have never made before. Ultimately, I would really like to do 25 days of baking. All new recipes! I don't know that I will be able to make that many, as it is my busy season at work, but I am going to do my best and bake as much as time (and my waistline) will allow.

My first batch of cookies is Rum Flavored Meringues. This is my first attempt at meringue cookies. They came out light and fluffy. Melt in your mouth delicious! They were also easier then I had anticipated.

Rum Flavored Meringues

3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp rum extract
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In large (glass or metal) bowl combine first 4 ingredients. Beat until soft peaks form, Gradually add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high. Beat until stiff peaks form.

Spoon into a pipping bag with a star tip. Pipe 2in stars on parchment paper an inch apart.
(can also use a spoon to make small mounds instead of using a pipping bag)

Bake for an hour and 20 minutes, or until cookies are dry and firm when lightly touched. Cool on wire rack, or do what I did, and just pull the parchment off the sheet and onto cool counter.

No comments: