Monday, September 13, 2010

Hot Coco Mocha Cake with Hot Coco Cream Cheese Frosting

This is what happens when one gets caught up in those cake shows on t.v. Wait until you see what I made to go with this cake.

I had this crazy idea to make a cake. I went into the kitchen with no clear idea of what kind of cake I wanted to make. Started looking into my pantry to see what I had. Found this huge bag of homemade hot coco mix my dear friend Mary had given me. Hmmmm.. Bet that would make a great cake flavor. So I found my recipe for one bowl chocolate cake. Used that as my base. Then added some instant coffee and used the coco mix in place of some of the sugar and coco powder.

The frosting, though, is the main attraction. This frosting is so darn good, it's well, wrong. I actually made it up on the fly. Only one thing needs to change... The coco mix contains powdered milk and it kinda lumps up. So, I need a hot coco powder recipe that does not contain the powdered milk. It doesn't affect the flavor, just the look of the frosting.

Ingredients
One brick of cream cheese.
4 cups Powdered sugar
1 1/2-2 cups Hot coco mix
2 cap fulls Almond extract

Whip the cream cheese until smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Whip until creamy.

No comments: